Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Following the Leader

At campsite ne morning, my coffee time included the woodsy version of the Today show . Starring 2 squirrels, who provided entertainment , then lesson, while playing a mating game of chase through the forest floor……. One the leader, the other the follower ….. As they raced with amazing speed, from tree to fallen log, in short explosions of leaves and twigs across the forest floor……

While Watching; my thoughts traveled to my own version of follow the leader….. Jesus style..

Some of His leads, that have always challenged my heart, are teachings of two of my favorite Christian authors ……. The first is Dietrich Bonhoffers’ first chapter in The Cost of Discipleship entitled “ Cheap Grace”

I’d give you his exact quote , but I’m afraid I have given away all my copies of his book.
However, in one well worn copy that had proven a good companion on many a walk or stay in the woods,… I had annotated , something like this :

His (Bonhoeffers’), passionate discourse was about a form of Christian grace.
Grace that costs nothing and is available, to be dispensed as one would give a small child a bandage for every bump, bruise, or scrape.

Grace passed out to all who enter the doors, like a program bulletin for Sunday Worship….. No cost or sacrificial living, only more grace to match more sin……

Grace given ….Thinking nothing of Christ’s words, “If anyone would come after Me, he must deny himself, take up his cross daily and follow Me”
. Luke 9:23



Clive Staples Lewis takes the same thought process further, as he maintains in his essay, Virtue and Vice,

Jesus warned people to ““Count the Cost” before following Me” …

He said , "I believe there is another dimension beyond what we may "give up" to follow the Christ….. "

He imagines Jesus as saying , "If you let me, I will make you perfect, Holy … the moment you put yourself into my hands, ….that is what you are in for…… Nothing less, or other than that……..”

I can imagine the continuation of that conversation in the words of Christ,

“You have free will and can choose to push me away, but if you do not push me away, understand that I am going to see this job through ….. Whatever suffering, victories, tears or struggles it may cost you in your earthly life ……”

“Whatever it may cost you and whatever it may cost me ……I will not rest, nor let you rest until my Father can say that He is pleased with you as He said he was pleased with Me….. “

“This I can do................... and will do …......................… but I will do nothing less.”

Do I want to follow the Christ , that much, … that I will surrender to that kind of diligence in a Master……..or am I really just seeking the comfort of faith and the desire for an occasional small miracle ….having a spectator God who will “watch over” my life ; Be there when I call out, ….but not mess with my comfort levels ………

Its’ still a costly choice and one that I chose to make each day !

8 Comments:

Blogger Suebee35 said...

I am so glad you started a blog. While at the Good Friday service in Cleveland this year we read one of your poems. It so blessed both me and my husband. I'm looking forward to more of your writings.

9:25 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

"having a spectator God who will “watch over” my life ; Be there when I call out, ….but not mess with my comfort levels"

Wow, that certainly puts it out there. I think you've hit on a very accurate characterization of what most of us often think (knowingly or not). Good thoughts. Keep them coming.

9:44 AM  
Blogger BrownEyedGirl said...

Grace does cost but is given freely. I think we sometimes take it like a Sunday bulletin, unaware of what was paid, the sacrifice made to place it in our hands.
Thanks for these words, once again you've got me thinking!

1:42 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

I think the challenge is for us to maintain what our motivation should be. The moment we start working out of obligation and trying to earn God's favor or "be good", we've missed it. Jesus came because we couldn't be good. We couldn't hack it on our own.

Jesus paid it all and our motivation should spring from the love He has for us.

I've spent years (and still fall in the trap sometimes) of making sure I cross every "t" and dot every "i" in order to gain the approval and acceptance of God and others. That's what they did in the Old Testament - they offered their sacrifices so God would accept them.

When Jesus came, He was (and is) the sacrifice so that the righteousness of God (that I couldn't attain on my own) was fulfilled in me, apart from anything I could do.

Grace is definitely not cheap. But it is definitely a gift.

Thanks for these thoughts.

11:37 AM  
Blogger Phil said...

Oh, one more thing! I think Brennan Manning is a good counterbalance for Deitrich Bonhoeffer. Both great men, but helping me see different aspects of grace.

11:40 AM  
Blogger WalksInTheWoods said...

thanks for the read and comments,
"surrendered"

I'm reminded often to stop worrying about earning grace and live it .... "using words when necessary"

I've read Ragamuffin Gospel, but haven't got to "Abba's Child"

Brennen Manning seems to come closer to an Army frame of reference and lifestyle than either Bonhoeffer or Nouwen, both of whom I read and enjoy.....looks like another book to add to the wanna read list .

blessings,

10:06 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

What a blessing you are...

It is so hard to wake up every day and realize that once again I have to decide whether or not to follow Him... so often I see people in Chapel at school singing about wanting His grace and His glory to come upon us and they do not understand what they are asking, that His glory does not just mean happy feelings and reconciliation but also conviction.

He will go through the trenches with us but we have to let Him...

Thanks for making me think! I don't get to do that too often when school is out and I am not debating in Bible Docs three days a week! :)

10:16 AM  
Blogger BrownEyedGirl said...

Your comments are works of art. You humble me. I am glad to know you.

10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home